The World Glacier Monitoring Service in Zurich, Switzerland reports accelerating glacier melt based on 30 glaciers in 9 mountainous regions. The biggest worry is loss of glaciers in regions that rely on them for summer drinking water and hydroelectric power, such as those on the western slope of the S. American Andes. The full technical report is here. A quote from the final remarks section, regarding melt rate since 1980: “The melt rate and loss in glacier thickness continues to be extraordinary. This development further confirms the accelerating trend in worldwide glacier disappearance, which has become more and more obvious during the past two decades. “
- Hybrids cars: a step in the right direction!
- Nuclear waste languishes, and we pay
- Yellowstone is warming…
- Skeptics seize upon cold winter
- Cold winter, but glacier melt accelerates
- Reminder Feb. 25 Guest Speaker
- Ethanol sucks!
- Long time no blog…
- Sue Skinner to speak Feb. 25
- UN eyes global warming pact by 2009
- World poised to sign climate deal
- Al Gore lays blame for Bali stalemate on U.S.
- Link to Bali
- Final IPCC report: Only URGENT action will do
- Roger Boe on “Beyond an Inconvenient Truth”
- 4,571 hits